Well, I’m quite happy with how the JLA/Avengers test vid looked, and of course I think the cast went great together (both the hero roster and the actors/ actresses) but Freedom Force (and it’s sequel) are relatively old games now. Truth be told, I’m a little bit of a sucker for the old blocky look of certain games, especially once the games themselves have found a place among my favorites. However that kinda bias can be one of the things that leads to people making crap Machinima… and loving it. For example a Halo fan seeing a shit Halo Machinima but thinking it’s God’s very own message simply because he’s so hopelessly besotted by the game itself.
So with that in mind I wanna make something that looks decent, but still has that oldish charm that I love from the game. So I went in to do some smoothing on the meshes.
At first I intended to do their whole bodies except the heads. I liked those remaining angular cause I always thought that gave the characters a Timmverse-esque appearance. Honestly once I smoothed the bodies I quite liked the look, but it caused problems that were too time intensive to fix. In the end I left them almost entirely as they were. I just identified problem areas in the models and worked specifically on those. In the end it kept the polycount down, and simplified things somewhat.
It’s a tiny difference on each character, but hopefully adds up to a big benefit. I’m still nailing down story points (its really hard to tell the kinda story I want while keeping it simple enough to do in my spare hours) so it might take me a wee while longer, but I think it’s getting there.